If someone you care about is showing signs of suicidal behavior, don’t be afraid to ask. Don’t worry about being wrong. It is estimated that 80% of those thinking about suicide want others to be aware of their emotional pain and to keep them from dying.Talking about suicidal thoughts will not plant the idea in someone’s mind. It can come as a great relief to that person. It is also not true that people who talk about killing themselves will not actually try it. It is important for you to take them seriously. Sometimes it’s hard to get help for a troubled friend because you’re afraid they’ll accuse you of telling on them. Just remember that silence places you both at risk—your friend for death by suicide and you for tremendous feelings of guilt if that happens. Don’t bear the burden alone—get help. Read More
- If there is imminent danger, call 911 or get to the emergency room.
- Never leave a suicidal person alone.
- Do not leave the person with access to firearms, medications, alcohol or other harmful substances.
- Do not minimize or discount the problem.
- Do not try to forcefully remove a weapon.
- More >